- Mr. Jose H. Velasco, Vice President of Product Management and Head of Autism at Work Initiative SAP [full text of statement]
- Mr. Thorkil Sonne, Founder and Chairman, Specialisterne [full text of statement]
- Ms. Theresa Hussman, Board Member, Autism Society [full text of statement]
- Mr. Michael Rosanoff, Associate Director, Public Health Research, Autism Speaks [full text of statement]
- Mr. Ron Suskind, Author [full text of statement]
An ABLE account would enable families like mine to save for housing, job supports, education, and other services without the fear of losing Social Security or Medicaid benefits. The current section 529 plans fall short for the many individuals with autism and other disabilities who cannot or choose not to go on to college. As much as anything else, the ABLE Act is about fairness. If Christi and I can use a college savings account to provide for our daughter Lindsey’s future, why can’t we use something similar to take care of Nicholas and Christopher?