Advancing Futures for Adults with Autism (AFAA) has selected the inaugural winners ofAFAA Applauds, a national initiative recognizing innovative, high-quality support programs for adults living with autism spectrum disorders (ASDs).
AFAA will promote the winning programs as cutting-edge models for other organizations across the country to replicate. The goal is to meet the increased demand for effective services, provide accurate information on promising practices and generate awareness about ASDs and adult concerns.
Through a competitive application process, AFAA selected six organizations for exemplary results-oriented employment, residential support and community life programs. Community life includes social skills, transportation, recreational, safety, spirituality or other categories of service that improve life experiences and outcomes for those living with autism.
- Autism Services Inc., New York Autism Services Inc. helps individuals with autism become involved in the visual and performing arts and has improved their quality of life.
- Chapel Haven, Connecticut Chapel Haven’s supported living program assists individuals with autism as they obtain jobs, gain a network of friends and participate in a vibrant community life. Chapel Haven’s program sets a high standard for excellence.
- Eden Autism Services, New Jersey Eden Adult Services’ multifaceted adult employment program promotes the meaningful engagement of adults with autism in their communities through paid employment and active volunteer service. The program has created successful employment opportunities for individuals with autism.
- Family Adult and Child Therapies (FACT), California FACT’s Generating All Possibilities 4-year program supports individuals with autism as they make informed decisions about work, college and where to live. The program helps prepare adults with autism for the future.
- Partnerships with Industry (PWI), California PWI provides adults with autism the opportunity to find employment. PWI has helped individuals with autism reach their potential and experience independence.
- The Friendship Circle, California The Friendship Circle fosters spiritual, social, and educational experiences for individuals with autism. The program has created activities that bring value to the lives of individuals with autism.